WARM UP AND STOCK UP AT THE PANTRY MARKET
With temperatures as low as 6-degrees this weekend, warming soups, healing herbs, immune-boosting spices and a feast of comfort foods are on the menu at The Pantry Market at Keyes.
Gearing up to celebrate the restorative power of food with its Winter Editions, the market, which launched in March at Rosebank’s art and design district, Keyes Art Mile, has hit a sweet spot with Joburg foodies. Taking place on the last Saturday morning of every month, the eco-friendly and plastic-free event specialises in small-batch, artisanal food products for you to take home and stock your pantry with.
From the June edition, which takes place on Saturday, June 30, the market will spill out into the streets to meet the demand for more vendors. Visitors will now be able to enjoy the winter sun while sipping, snacking, sampling, shopping and enjoying the resident DJ’s feel-good tunes.
From June to August, The Pantry Market will be packed with everything you need to get through the winter season intact. Top Johannesburg chefs will be creating their signature soups for you to enjoy at home. Fresh, organic winter produce including healing herbs and export-grade citrus will be available, along with wholesome grains, authentic Durban curry powders, organic dairy, a range of immune-boosting spices and raw honey.
A selection of producers includes:
– Aimee Lloyd Macarons: Artfully presented French macarons in a diverse range of colours and flavours.
– Bakgat Nartjies: Nova naartjies and Eureka lemons farmed in the North West for export.
– Braeside Meat Market: Free-range lamb and organic dairy products.
– Chocoloza Belgian Chocolates: Finely crafted pralines made with pure Belgian chocolate and the best South African ingredients.
– Craft Coffee: Espresso-based coffee drinks prepared by professional baristas. Coffee beans also available to take home.
– Dolci Café: Freshly rolled pasta and homemade sauces as well as a selection of pastries.
– Esposito Natural Foods: Acorn fed, free-range pork products from the Midlands farm of Franco Esposito.
– House of Crepes: Nutella and Bar-One crepes made fresh on site.
– Isabella’s Gelateria: Gelato ice-cream made from locally sourced ingredients.
– King Arabic Sandwich: Original Palestinian pies with a variety of fillings.
– Kula Organics: Fresh, organic, seasonal produce and free-range eggs sourced from local Joburg farmers.
– Lorian’s Cheeses: A carefully curated selection of artisan cheeses from around the country. Enjoy a platter on site or buy cheeses to take home.
– MIX Bar: a deliciously prepared breakfast bun and a glass of bubbly or a glass of red or white wine.
– Pregssons Spices: Authentic curry powder and a wide variety of spices and pickles.
– The Grainery: Whole grains such as buckwheat, quinoa and black rice, sold in eco-friendly muslin bags, as well as a selection of healthy, fresh bowls to enjoy on site.
– Tonka Bean Patisserie: Croissants, donuts, and pastries from the famed Riversands bakery.
– Treviso Café: Top-quality sourdough bread, using stoneground flour, water, yeast and salt, and nothing else.
– Urban Apiary: Raw, small-batch honey harvested responsibly from the suburbs of Johannesburg. Bring your own jar to fill, or buy a filled jar on site.
– Yococo: Dairy-free handmade ice cream using only organic fruits and free from all preservatives and colourants.
Of course, winter is all about indulging, and there will be a feast of comfort foods to take home, including breads, cheeses, charcuterie, free-range lamb, macaroons, chocolate and pies. If you’re feeling the chill onsite you’ll be able to warm up with locally roasted coffee, hot chocolate, red wine, freshly made crepes, decadent pastries, Palestinian pies, hearty bowls and more, while you shop.
One of the highlights of The Pantry Market is the talks programme. Each month visitors can attend a free food-related talk by an industry expert. Topics include ethical eating, reducing your plastic-use, plant-based diets, and more.
This weekend at 10:30am, will be by Kate Wittstock, owner of Restraw reusable straws, who, ahead of the #PlasticFreeJuly campaign, will discuss how to reduce your use of single-use plastics. For the July edition, on July 28, organic vegetable farmer Nonkululeko Britton-Masekela of Kula Organics will share her stories and tips on the healing powers of herbs.
To complete the market experience, breakfast and lunch is available from the several Keyes Art Mile restaurants, including BGR, MIX Bar at MESH and Milk Bar. While SMAC, TMRW, Circa and Everard Read galleries offer additional visual stimulus to the morning, True Design (Kartell, Moroso and Cassina), Okapi, Shelflife and Anatomy will be open for browsing and shopping.
WEEKLY FLIGHT SPECIALS STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Sign-up to MEGA FLIGHT DEALS, your one stop for non-stop cheap flights! Book cheap flights both domestic and internationally through a quick, easy to use interface. MEGA FLIGHT DEALS provides an online booking facility for cheap airline deals, including South African Airways (SAA), British Airways (BA), Mango, Kulula, FlySafair, SA Airlink and more!
You won’t need to check the Powerball Plus results to get a great flight deal!